Anyone who owns a summer vacation home—particularly one that’s on the water—has probably experienced the following scenario: You open the door of your house after it’s been closed up for six months, and you get a whiff of a musty odor as soon as the air hits your nose. It’s the undeniable smell of mildew and/or mold.
But you don’t want mold to ruin your vacation, so what do you do?
How to Tackle Mold in Your Beach House
Here’s what you should do immediately upon smelling the telltale scent of mold:
- Open all the windows to let some fresh air in. (Note: You’ll want to limit the amount of time you have the windows open if it’s very humid outside.)
- Run a dehumidifier inside the home to decrease moisture.
- Before you turn on an air conditioner, replace the filter. The old one is likely riddled with mold spores.
- If you can see any visible mold or mildew stains on household surfaces, clean them with a diluted bleach solution.
- Advise any other guests with mold allergies to take an over-the-counter allergy medication to mitigate symptoms.
- Schedule a mold inspection with MoldXpertsNY.
How MoldXpertsNY Can Help
When you call our professional mold inspectors for assistance, we’ll come out right away to do a visual check and collect surface and air samples that will be tested at a lab. Once we have the results of your mold test, we’ll give you our analysis and alert you if any of the mold is found to be toxic. Then, we’ll make recommendations on how to remediate the problem and prevent its reoccurrence.
So, don’t let your summer home’s mold and mildew ruin your time in the Hamptons. Instead, start tackling those moisture problems today so you can get the most out of your beach house this summer.
Call MoldXpertsNY now to make an appointment!